So, you’ve finally made good on that New Year’s resolution and have decided to become a member of a gym in Santa Monica. Circuit Works or not, there are some very important safety precautions every beginner should take, whether you’re completely new to physical training or have just been on an extended hiatus.
Before you begin hitting the gym, you should take some time to consider your answers to the questions laid out in the Physical Activity Readiness Questionnaire (the PAR-Q), which is the fitness safety standard used by medical doctors and health centers in Santa Monica… and indeed the world over.1. Do you ever experience any chest pains when you exert yourself?
2. In the past month, have you experienced chest pains while not exerting yourself?
3. Have you ever been told by your medical doctor that you have a heart condition?
4. Have you ever been told that you should only do exercise recommended by a doctor?
5. Do you ever get dizzy, lose your balance or lose consciousness when doing physical activity?
6. Do you have any joint or bone problems that could be worsened by exercise?
7. Are you currently taking any medications for a heart condition or blood pressure, such as water pills?
8. Are you aware or can you think of any other reasons you shouldn’t engage in physical exercise (laziness doesn’t count)?
If you checked “yes” to any of these questions, you should book an appointment with your doctor and speak to him or her about the exercise regime you plan to go on before you hit the treadmill of your Santa Monica gym. You can download the PAR-Q form if you wish to take a copy of it to your doctor, courtesy of CSEP (Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology).
Other Health Issues to Take Into Consideration:
- Being a smoker: it puts strain on your lungs and heart.
- Certain chronic illnesses, such as diabetes, arthritis, osteoporosis and high blood pressure.
- Being more than 20 pounds overweight.
Physical training is a fundamental component of the treatment approach to getting the above-mentioned illnesses and conditions under control, but you will need the advice of a medical doctor to ensure that you do so safely.
Now go and get fit!
Contact Circuit Works
If you have any questions or would like to arrange to meet with us, please give us a call at 310-662-9345 (Santa Monica).